LINk in Cornwall would like to say a big thank you to everyone who filled in their questionnaire to gather views to help shape an organisation being established in Cornwall to provide advice and influence health and social care services.
HealthWatch will be the new consumer champion for people who use health and social care services. It will provide advice about and listen to views of the local community to help shape, improve and influence services. HealthWatch will be funded by the Department of Health via Cornwall Council and will start to operate in October 2012.
1,263 people across Cornwall answered the questionnaire which was available online, and was used by LINk volunteers and staff to visit GP Practices, local events, libraries and day care centres among others.
Some of the main outcomes were:
- The independence of an influencing and advice giving organisation from those delivering services was important to people.
- The preferred way to access information and for hearing about or feeding into health and social care events was via their GP practice.
- There were numerous suggestions of which organisations should be involved in providing advice and influencing services. The most popular answer given was GP patient groups.
- The most important thing for an organisation to be able to influence health and social care services was regular face to face opportunities with the organisation.
- When choosing where to go for their health and social care needs, information on quality and performance and where the service is located were most important
The full results are now available online at: www.linkincornwall.org.uk.
If you missed the questionnaire then it is not too late to have your say about HealthWatch.
LINk will be running workshops in the South East of Cornwall to listen to local patient and public experiences of health and social care services on the 8th December at the Public Hall at Liskeard Town Council. To find out more go to www.linkincornwall.org.uk.
LINk has written a tool kit to support Cornwall Council with their upcoming HealthWatch Consultation Events at the end of November. For more information go to www.cornwall.gov.uk/healthwatch.